Sunday, May 5, 2013

Tattoo etiquette: Should I tip my artist?

Of course! 
But like every other tipping situation, it is not mandatory and should reflect the quality of service you got. Consider how much time went into prepping for your appointment or piece. Was it custom drawn? Did you feel safe and welcome? Does your artist own his or her own studio space? Artists typically pay a 40-50% cut to the shop owner to cover supplies, expenses and permits. I typically get tipped 10 to 20% of the actual price.
There are many ways to charge for a tattoo. Some shops do piece by piece pricing, some do hourly, and some do hourly packages that are an even better deal. I prefer hourly pricing because it takes the guesswork out of it and I am fair to all my customers. In my experience, most shops in a region are competitive with each other and slight variances in price do not usually indicate a quality difference. Always check your artist’s portfolio to see what their quality of work is like. It is not uncommon to be asked to show a portfolio or sterilization records and your artist should take no offense.

No comments: